Automated phone dialers from a robocall system are a highly effective way to get your message out directly to voters. A robo dialer or auto dialer can work wonders for a political campaign, and it is both efficient and affordable.
However, used incorrectly, robo calls can be a double-edged sword. Candidates should be cautious when using this powerful technology so that they do so to their advantage, not their detriment. Here are 10 robo calling best practices to keep in mind when implementing your campaign:
When Using A Robo Dialer
1. Verify legality. Check to make sure the area(s) you will be targeting allow automated calls. Find out about any rules and regulations you’ll need to follow.
2. Inspire and inform. Be inspiring and fact-based in your message.
3. Be concise. Keep messages relatively brief — between 30 and 45 seconds is ideal.
4. Thank your constituents. Be upbeat, positive and express gratitude for voter support in your message.
5. Call early in the cycle. Ideally, you should send your robo dialer message well in advance of the election instead of right before to maximize its impact. (The exception to this would be if you need to respond to recent direct attacks or must address an issue immediately.
6. Call selectively. Use focused, deliberate and selective calling — do not bombard constituents with multiple similar messages in a short period of time.
7. Call during weekdays. Send auto dialer messages during the day. Strive to leave the messages on voicemail; about 70% of U.S. residents are not home during the day, and you’ll be able to deliver your complete message. You’ll avoid interrupting the voter and they can listen to your message at their convenience.
8. Real phone numbers. Use a real phone number associated with your campaign for your calls; caller ID numbers that look false will likely not be taken seriously.
9. Plan ahead. Don’t wait until the last minute; plan and strategize your call scripts carefully. The ideal planning cycle for a robo call is about a week to 10 days, so set aside at least that amount of time for each message.
10. Pace yourself. When you start your calls, use a pace that is steady and also compliant with the local capacity for the area.
Once everything is in place, auto dialers can deliver thousands of automated calls in just minutes. Follow these best practices to make the most of your robo dialer campaign.